Sunday, September 25, 2011

Will they Remember?

Today I came across my mothers wedding dress.  As I pulled it out of the bag I was overwhelmed by sadness.  I was sad because my mother is not here to hold the dress. Sad because she was once so beautiful and full of life. So graceful as she walked down that aisle holding on tight to my father. Such strength and determination as she said her I do's.  I can only imagine the look on my fathers face when she walked through the doors of the church.  How his heart must have stopped for that brief second.  How lucky he must have felt knowing that this beautiful woman was to be his wife.  This dress is more than just a dress.  It is a reminder of a once in a lifetime love.  A love that inspired others to love. The kind of love poets write of and people dream of.  This is what my parents had.  Yesterday would have been my parents fourty fifth wedding anniversary. And it makes me sad that my mother is not here to celebrate with us.
It makes me wonder if my daughters will remember their grandmother.  Will they remember her beauty and be inspired by her strength. Will she continue to be a part of their lives even though she is no longer with us? 
As I sat on the couch holding my mothers beautiful dress and crying,  my daughter Lola asked me why I was so sad. I told her that I missed grama. She brought me over a kleenex and told me not to be sad because she loves grama very much. 
I guess this is my answer.

1 comment:

  1. you should totally have posted a (may cause crying) warning before this one

    ReplyDelete