Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Like to Break the Rules


This is what my three year old told her babysitter last night.  She showed her the part of the fridge that she had coloured with her markers and explained to the her that she had broken the rules by colouring where she was not supposed to. Sarah, the sitter, asked her why she had done that, and she said because I LIKE TO BREAK THE RULES. And laughed as only a three year old can.
This has caught me off guard. Where does this come from?  What has made her like to break the rules?  Can it be genetic?  
An aside - I may not have been the perfect child. More on that later.
Of course I am taking this personally.  I am questioning my parenting skills yet again.  Am I setting the right example? Am I strict enough? Am I not paying enough attention to her? I ask this last question because when I caught her, or rather when she pointed out to me, that she had coloured the fridge and the cabinets I asked her why she had done it. At first she said “because“. I then asked her if it was because she wanted my attention to which she said "yes".  Now I may have prompted this answer but this is how I am interpreting this new behaviour.  
I often wonder if I give enough of myself to my children.  If I pay enough attention to them in a day.  Should I give them a hundred percent of me and let everything else slide?  Does it matter if the house is clean and the laundry is done? That there are no groceries in the house, and that no one has the right shoes on? If I just didn’t care so much about making everything so perfect - would there be more time in the day  for the children?  
I watch my mother in law with my girls and it is so wonderful.  She gives them a hundred percent of herself.  They are her only focus.  They laugh, play and enjoy the day together without a thought of anything else.  I realize that that is what grandmothers are for but it does make me think that I could do the same.
She is a great example of how all the other things don’t really matter - although she amazingly is able to do this while cooking, cleaning and even ironing my husbands shirts!  More on her later…
After a late night discussion with my husband, thinking and over thinking ,  I have come to the conclusion that I am going to focus more on the children and less on the minutiae of everyday life.  Sure the house may not look as perfect and yes there may be a little chaos involved but I think the end result of children who feel loved and put first will be worth it.
Wish me luck.







1 comment:

  1. Words of wisdom that were shared with me... and I TRY to live by... "a clean house is a sign of a wasted life!"

    Great job on the blog Paula... I can definitely relate to you as a mom!

    ReplyDelete