Monday, September 26, 2011

Pick your Battles

Today was apple picking day with my daughters school.  As is common when one has an "event" to attend, we all woke up late. Rushed and feeling the pressure of the clock, we all went to our stations.  My husband grabbed our youngest daughter, I attended to myself and our eldest, the one scheduled to go apple picking, announced that she would be wearing her ballet tutu to the farm.
For a split second time stopped.  My husband and I went in to defensive mode - and in unison said "You are NOT wearing your tutu to go apple picking!" Tears. Screaming. Complete meltdown. All while hearing the tick tock of valuable time going by.  We tried to explain that farmers don't wear tutus to pick apples - that perhaps jeans were a better option. NO WAY - farmers DO wear tutus.
Time running out - determined toddler - parents back down. Perhaps farmers do wear tutus to pick apples.
A battle not worth winning. 

1 comment: